AS in:
It's a Thursday night. I need to have a night of chill instead of a night of stress. I go to this stack.
It's Sunday and I'm planning on sewing all day. I go to this stack.
I have to make a grip of adorable penguins. Stack.
I know many of them aren't GREAT movies or even all that good. But I like them.. And say what you will about my taste in movies (or just the topic of personal preference in general) we all have our dark horse we turn to when we need a moment of comfort or laughter or mindless fun/joy/tears whatever. These are mine.
The List (Top to Bottom):
The Lake House
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Labyrinth
The Wedding Singer
V for Vendetta
The Fantastic Mr Fox
So I Married an Axe Murderer
Seven Samurai
Pride and Prejudice
Center Stage
The Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
The Day After Tomorrow/ The Happening (Double Feature disc)
The Avengers
Burlesque
New Year's Eve
Love Actually
Snow White & the Huntsman ( I'm a little embarrassed by this one, but Charlize is amazing and I have a terrible crush on Chris Hemsworth)
The Princess Bride
Two Weeks Notice
Rock of Ages
The Holiday
Cast Away
Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows
Hangover II (Not sure how this one got into the stack, actually. Never seen it.)
Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe
Brave
Hugo
Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Not Pictured:
Iron Man
Captain America
Thor (hello, Chris Hemsworth!)
Bottle Shock (watched at least twice a month)
Alice (SyFy movie)
Tin Man (SyFy again)
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Ok. I've been dared. You asked for it. So...
ReplyDeleteLook, I have nothing against musicals, movies revolving around music, singing in general, but they aren't my thing. So we can eliminate Center Stage, Rock of Ages, Burlesque and New Year's Eve (I know the last one doesn't have singing, but come on). The only exception is The Wedding Singer which I've seen and am fine with never seeing again. It was good(ish).
We can also eliminate the super hero movies. What is there to argue about with the ones on this list? Avengers, Iron Man, Captain America, Thor. Nice! But where is Iron Man 2? I rewatched that recently and really enjoyed it, even though it didn't get as much love as the first. What did you think of the Spider-man reboot? I thought it was actually a good movie, but kind of pointless in the things they changed.
Princess Bride? Labyrinth? Hitchhiker's Guide? Nerd points! They're on my list.
Seven Samurai? Awesome. One of my favorite foreign films.
Really liked Fabulous Mr. Fox. Not enough to revisit it very often, but it was good.
Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows... I liked the first one better, but this is good. It's a solid movie.
I don't remember much about So I Married an Axe Murderer, but... even though I haven't seen it in decades, I can still quote it. "It's like a virtual planetoid!" So it can't be all bad.
Castaway. Ok. Tom Hanks. I can do that. But it really doesn't cause me to want to watch it again. I got it. He's stranded. There's a volleyball.
So, we agree on quite a bit. This is where we might have to part ways.
I wanted to love Hugo, but I ended up only kind of liking it. I don't know what did it, but I was underwhelmed.
Same with V for Vendetta. Wanted to like it so much but I was bored. REALLY bored by it.
I've seen most of the Harry Potter movies, and they're good, but the early ones all run together for me. They seem like the same movie after a while. The later ones are better, I think.
It's the opposite for the Pirates movies. I liked the first one much better than the other 12 that came after it. Great effects in On Stranger Tides, but I was pretty bored otherwise.
The Holiday? The Lake House? What? Did you lose some sort of bet?
I'd like to see:
Brave
Percy Jackson
Alice (SyFy movie)
Tin Man (SyFy again)
and Snow White- just out of morbid curiosity.
I'll have to post mine as soon as I can. Though I have no clue how you'll be able to argue about them as they're all wonderfully enjoyable.
So first off, I have to say that there are quite a few movies in here that made the stack because they were Christmas presents. They have yet to be watched or only watched once so I'm not sure if they will be a permanent part of the stack yet. I already know Hugo, Sherlock, Castaway and Pirates will likely go (I agree with you on the first Pirates being the best.) Brave and Snow White will get rotation but probably won't be sitting next to my TV permanently.
ReplyDeleteThere's also a few holiday movies in there--I only watch them from about October to beginning of January (The Holiday, Love Actually and New Year's Eve.)
On to the meat: Iron man 2 isn't in the list because I don't like it enough to watch over and over. Much like Brave and Snow White is's in the rotation but not a permanent fixture. I liked it, but I didn't love it as much as the first one.
Spiderman has never been my favorite superhero. I find all the reboots of these comic book series a little unnecessary and it turns me off from watching them. So that's a no to Spiderman (and to Batman, though I'm more likely to watch those. And yes, I have all the reboots for that one.)
Fantastic Mr Fox is in the pile because I WANT to watch it over and over, but I don't. Every time I do watch it, I find it audacious and witty and ridiculous and I laugh. But I just can't bring myself to pop it in the DVD player on a monthly basis.
As for the Lake House, much like you cannot possibly understand my love for Twister, you can't understand this. The acting is wooden, the story makes no sense but I love it just the same. So deal.
Harry Potter. I do not love these movies equally just as I do not love the books equally. In terms of best to worst:
Movies: 5, 3, 7 pt2, 4, 7 pt1, 1, 2, 6
Books (in case you care): 3, 7, 4, 5, 1, 2, 6
There's a bit of an upset in there with that 5th book/movie...
I look forward to tearing your list apart, Matt. Maybe we can get some other folks involved in this!
Ha! There are a number of movies that I'd like to think I'm going to watch over and over, but don't. Might be one or two on my list.
ReplyDeleteHmmm. Who would we con into talking about your semi-questionable taste in movies with us?
Matt... Where you actually watching V for Vendetta or were you too busy being cracked out to pay attention to all the action & heartfelt drama that was going on in that movie? Just sayin'
ReplyDelete