Monday, October 15, 2012

Will I be the next big thing?

Blog Hops The Next Big Thing - Week 16

Thank you to Heidi Ruby Miller ( @HeidiRubyMiller) for tagging me in this blog hop. Heidi is an amazing inspiration to me--she challenges me to write more and write harder everyday through simple words of encouragement and through her #WordWars on twitter. Check out her post, then hop on over and visit these authors.

John Edward Lawson (@bizzaroguy) - http://www.johnlawson.org
Mike Mehalek (@MikeMehalek) - http://mikemehalek.blogspot.com
Jason Jack Miller (@JasonJackMiller) - http://jasonjackmiller.blogspot.com


What is the working title of your book?
Unfathomable

Where did the idea come from for the book?
I was driving north for work to deliver computer training to clinic lab workers. As I drove past all these Minnesota lakes, my mind filled with thoughts about the class I'd be teaching, I suddenly had a 'what if' moment. What if there was a species of lake people? And what if they were being tested and used for experimentation because of their abilities? What if.... my mind started racing.

Of course, I was driving at the time and the great state of Minnesota frowns on typing while operating a moving vehicle. Thank goodness for Siri!

What genre does your book fall under?
Young Adult Science Fiction/Fantasy. It's a genre bender.

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

  Gabby: Sarah Bolger
  Dylan: Nicolas Hoult
  Ainsley: Emilie de Ravin
  The Captain: Nathan Fillion
  Marta: Jennifer Garner

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
After being ripped from her home in the middle of the night, Gabby must discover her hidden powers in order to rescue her mom and save her friends.

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
We'll see how the dice fall....

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
It's still in production, though the rough draft should be completed shortly. I have a November 1 deadline for myself...we'll see if I can make it!

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
I'm not sure I know what to compare it to but it's probably a little Nicole Peeler (minus all the sex), James Dashner and maybe some C.J. Cherryh. A splash of water people mixed in with some run for your life adventure all while figuring out the conspiracy driving them. 

Yes, that pun was intended.
 

Who or what inspired you to write this book?
I knew I would write this story eventually--see, I was working on something else when the idea popped into my head. John Edward Lawson slapped the gauntlet down and challenged me to finish this by November 1st. I don't like to say no to a challenge like that.

So I blame him!

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?
If you've never been afraid to swim in the water before, you might wonder after reading this, what is really down there?

2 comments:

  1. Great title!! And I especially like Nathan Fillion and Jennifer Garner in the cast. ;)

    Hurry up and finish this!!

    :) Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck in finishing the book. The idea sounds really cool. As to casting, as a fan of "Castle," "Serenity," etc., you had me at Nathan Fillion. BTW, I was tagged for TNBT blog hop by Jennifer Allis Provost who also tagged Heidi Ruby Miller. I found you by blog hopping :-)

    ReplyDelete