Do I get an iPhone or stick with a Droid?
I've been resistant to the iPhone simply because it's what EVERYONE is doing and I've never really thought of myself as a lemming. However, Android OS is owned by Google who, for the past year, has essentially done everything it could to piss me (and probably others) off with it's high-handed assumptions that I want to use Google+. As a result of this assumption, I have stopped using Reader, will likely be forced to stop using Chat and no doubt other Google products will follow. I have stopped using products I love simply because I don't want to funnel everything through a lackluster social platform.
Android OS (and there for Droid) lives and breathes Google.
So the question is, how far to I take my anger with Google? Do I stop using Android based phones simply because it is so integrated with Google? I still use Gmail, Google Maps, Google Calendar and Google Docs (well....and Blogger). But how long will it be before the next Android upgrade forces me to use all G+ all the time?
That said, is Apple really any different? Is it because with Apple there has never been any doubt that you were buying into an exclusive product/lifestyle? Sure, I can get Apps for other things like Gmail etc. but it is entirely reliant on Apple saying, 'Okay, you can buy/have that."
Is my anger with Google off base? Maybe.
UPDATE: I have made a decision. I choose Apple.
buying a phone and selling your soul are two different things...
ReplyDeleteI think it depends on how much of your life you channel through your phone. I live and breath through my calendar and twitter.
Delete