Saturday, January 7, 2012

Write Every Day

I write every day. Some days, I only write a paragraph or two before calling it a day. But on a good day, I can write pages and pages of solid gold prose. Usually I write these priceless words at my favorite Caribou Coffee where I not only enjoy their delicious coffee and friendly baristas (no, this is not an advertisement, though Caribou is WAY better than Starbucks) but they also seem to enjoy seeing me on a weekly basis. I can people watch in between my word count sprints and I can stay fueled up on hot caffeinated paradise in a cup.

Getting back to the writing every day....Last June, I attended the In Your Write Mind Writing Workshop hosted by Seton Hill University and the Writing Popular Fiction Alumni. One of the workshops I attended focused on writing every day to accomplish your writing goals.

At the time, I had no intention of writing every day. Not only was I not pursuing a writing career, publication or anything that comes along with the type of writing this workshop promoted, I wasn't even pursuing putting words on a page at all. So I thought, this is a great idea, but it is not for me.

Then inspiration sneaked into my room one night, dug itself into my brain like an earwig and multiplied. A week later my friend Judi insisted I send her pages every day and I agreed. For the most part I have lived up to this agreement with her (except December. Thank you, Christmas!) and I don't regret it one bit.

Practice really does make perfect. I'm not saying I'm a perfect writer--far from it. Have you read my blog posts? But I am a better writer for having written every day. The words flow better from my brain to the page and what ends up on the page seems smarter, wittier, and more well written than the day before.

That said, I'd best be getting my words laid down instead of blogging about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment